Thu, Jul 28, 2022 4:06 PM

Tearful scenes as lockdown ends


Paula Hulburt

A lockdown at Marlborough Girls’ College has ended in scenes of tears and relief.

Tasman Area Commander Simon Feltham says police are speaking to two young people in relation to the incident.

"Police believe there is no further threat towards the public following an incident at Marlborough Girls High School.

Relieved Marlborough Girls' College students were greeted by anxious family members after the lockdown was lifted. Photo: Matt Brown

"Emergency services want to stress the negative impact hoax calls have on the community and on resources that may be needed to respond to other priority incidents."

Students have now left the McLauchlan Street school which was plunged into lockdown this afternoon.

Many students were greeted by hugs from relieved parents and caregivers who had gathered at the police cordon waiting for their children.

The school has shut its doors and students were being kept inside as a precaution, with no one leaving or entering the building.‌‌

Armed police cordoned off the area shortly after 2.30pm and Mclauchlan Street was closed to traffic.

The move comes in the wake of a series of phone threats towards schools across the country today and against the Blenheim based school yesterday.‌

A police officer keeps a watchful eye on students from Marlborough Girls' College as they leave the building. Photo: Matt Brown

But in a statement this afternoon, police say they don’t believe the threat is linked.

“Police are responding following a report of a threat at Marlborough Girls' College. Police units are in attendance.

“Marlborough Girls' College has gone into lockdown and other schools in the area have voluntarily locked down.

“The public are asked to avoid the area.

The threat is not believed to be linked to threats toward other schools made this week.”‌


Police officers outside Marlborough Girls' College after the school was lockdown following a security threat. Photo: Matt Brown

‌By 3.21pm worried parents had gathered at the armed cordon desperate for news and cars trying to gain access were being turned around.

Around 40 people waited outside the cordon as police let Bohally Intermediate students leave the area first.

Parents and caregivers say they were getting texts from students inside the building, scared about what was happening.

Students at Bohally School and nearby Springlands School were also being kept inside as a precaution but students were allowed to leave Bohally School at 3.35pm.‌


Police officers were outside Bohally Intermediate this afternoon as students left following a voluntary lockdown. Photo: Matt Brown

‌In a post on social media, Marlborough Girls' College Principal Mary-Jeanne Lynch says the lockdown was instigated following advice from the police.

All students and staff were safe inside the building, she says.

Marlborough App Logo
Marlborough App
Marlborough App is owned by Top South Media. a locally owned media company.