Red Cross apologises after 'shocking' overtaking attempt

Contributor

By RNZ

Red Cross New Zealand has apologised after an overtaking attempt by a staff member in a branded car was caught on camera in Marlborough.

Footage posted to social media showed the Red Cross-branded hatchback driving on the wrong side of the road, forcing oncoming traffic on to the shoulder, before pulling in close behind the vehicle in front in the appropriate lane.

Red Cross New Zealand confirmed the overtaking attempt took place at around 4pm on Thursday near Havelock.

They also said it had been reported to police.

Red Cross secretary general Sarah Stuart-Black said she was shocked by the footage.

"We are conducting a full investigation into the incident in line with our employment policies, our safe driver policy, and our code of conduct. The driver is co-operating fully with the investigation," she said.

"This behaviour does not align with our values, and we sincerely apologise to all those who were involved in the incident or have been concerned about it."

The staff member is not allowed to drive Red Cross vehicles while the internal investigation takes place.

Those on social media were appalled by the driving, with some calling it "absolutely disgusting", "unbelievable" and a "daily occurrence for us who drive the roads".

Subscribe

Get local news delivered to your inbox

Stay informed with what’s happening in Marlborough with a free weekly newsletter. Delivered to your inbox every Friday morning, the Marlborough App newsletter recaps the week that’s been while highlighting what’s coming up over the weekend.

* indicates required