Bluebridge commits to Picton for another four decades

Contributor

StraitNZ has committed to staying in Picton for another 39 years. Work on infrastructure upgrades in preparation for the Government’s new ferries began last month. Photo: Supplied

By Kira Carrington, Local Democracy Reporter

Bluebridge ferries have recommitted to Picton for the next four decades as parent company StraitNZ signs a long-term partnership with Port Marlborough.

Port Marlborough chief executive Rhys Welbourn said the 39-year lease through to 2064 reflected a shared confidence that Picton was the right base for StraitNZ’s future.

“It has been great to work alongside StraitNZ, who have a clear vision for their operations and see Port Marlborough as a long-term strategic partner in their supply chain solutions for freight and passengers across Aotearoa,” Welbourn said.

Welbourn said the agreement gave both Port Marlborough and StraitNZ certainty.

StraitNZ chief executive Shane McMahon said the agreement was an important step in supporting long-term operations and growth.

“The extension of this agreement with our valued partners at Port Marlborough demonstrates StraitNZ Bluebridge’s ongoing commitment to the critical Cook Strait link in Picton and we are excited by the opportunities ahead,” McMahon said.

The announcement followed work that started last month on infrastructure upgrades to accommodate the Government’s new ferries when they arrived in 2029.

Welbourn said at the time that the works showed there was “no ambiguity” that ferry services would remain in Picton, instead of the “unproven” Clifford Bay.

CB Port director Stephen Grice disputed that, telling Local Democracy Reporting that Port Marlborough had no certainty in its customer base.

“The government has yet to decide who will operate the new vessels it is purchasing, and Morgan Stanley is reported to be selling StraitNZ,” Grice said in January.

LDR is local body journalism co-funded by RNZ and NZ On Air.

Subscribe

Get local news delivered to your inbox

Stay informed with what’s happening in Marlborough with a free weekly newsletter. Delivered to your inbox every Friday morning, the Marlborough App newsletter recaps the week that’s been while highlighting what’s coming up over the weekend.

* indicates required