Rangers AFC at the double

Rangers AFC midfielder Harrison Pine drives through an attempted tackle against Mapua FC Rangers today. Photo Peter Jones

Rangers AFC made short work of an Anzac Weekend double-header, notching two clear-cut wins over Nelson-based rivals.

On Saturday they assured themselves of top billing for the forthcoming Nelson division one football competition with a comprehensive victory in their final group A qualifying match, disposing of Wakefield FC 8-2 in Nelson on Saturday.

Today they played a first preliminary round Chatham Cup match against Mapua FC Rangers and prevailed 6-0.

Liam Clamp scored two second half goals. Photo Peter Jones
Liam Clamp scored two second half goals. Photo Peter Jones

Player/coach Tore Waechter commented on Saturday’s match, suggesting that, despite the hefty scoreline, it was not their best performance.

“We want to be turning in a full 90-minute effort at this stage,” he said.

“Against Wakefield we played well for 15 or 20 minutes then got a bit sloppy. Maybe it was the fact we already knew we had qualified [to play in the top division] that led to us dropping our standards.

“In this competition, if we keep doing that we will get punished,” he warned.

Despite his reservations, Rangers managed to forge a 5-1 lead at halftime and added three more after the break. Jono Masters scored a brace, Keagan Mortimer bagged a hat-trick, Sam Pearson added a goal while Rangers’ pressure led to Wakefield notching two own goals.

Tore said his side’s goals were well executed, players rewarded for being patient and controlled possession. He also gave credit to the home side who he said “were up for it” and had played very well in patches.

In today’s clash at A&P Park, Rangers scored three goals in each half but missed a bucketload of opportunities, including a penalty, which would have pushed the score into double figures.

They almost totally dominated possession, holding their rivals to a couple of tentative shots at goal while creating chance after chance at the other end.

Julian Delgado scored twice, as did young substitute Liam Clamp, who showed his elders how it was done with a couple of clinical finishes, while Keagan Mortimer and Jono Masters added the others.

Harrison Pine and Tore Waechter controlled midfield, along with Bjorn Waechter, while Jordy Columbus and Aaron Hayes looked after the back field.

While the Rangers’ frontrunners were busy and energetic, they will be heading for the shooting range this week.

Central Buccaneers’ midfielder Charlie Wilkin slides a pass to a team mate during his side’s match against Redwood Masters on Saturday. Photo Peter Jones
Central Buccaneers’ midfielder Charlie Wilkin slides a pass to a team mate during his side’s match against Redwood Masters on Saturday. Photo Peter Jones

Meanwhile, there were three relatively clear-cut results in the Mayfield Motorworld division one competition on Saturday.

Central Wolves downed Bottle-O BV Masters 5-1, Central Buccaneers beast Rangers Development 4-1 and Call Care Trojans overcame Call Care Hotspurs 4-2.

At A&P Park, Buccaneers opened the scoring through Tom Morley in the third minute. Development had a chance to level the score through a penalty but Boyd Elvy’s drive hit the post. By halftime a brace of goals to Ben Shallcress saw Buccaneers ahead 3-0.

Development responded, bringing on Liam Clamp and Jay Geris, and began to maintain possession. Spencer Holmes, Alan Elvy and Andrew Wheeler added fresh legs and enthusiasm and soon Development had their first goal, a penalty to Lucas Scantlebury.

However, their comeback was short-lived, Development conceding an own goal a minute later when a simple headed ball back to their keeper looped up and over him to settle in the back of the net.

Development players of the day were Jake Bezant, Josh Clamp and Kane Elvy.

In the club derby between the favoured Trojans side and “little brother” Hotspurs at A&P Park, Trojans led 2-0 at halftime, courtesy of goals to Nic De Stefano and Tomas Lupani.

In a scrappy encounter, Aiden Treston pulled one back for Hotspurs but a second to Lupani and a further goal to Rueben Rhodes sewed it up, although Santiago Gennuso had the consolation of scoring the game’s final goal.

The final match, at Athletic Park, saw Wolves take control by halftime, leading 3-0. A brace to Steve McCaa in the 13thand 37th minutes, plus a goal to Jono McCormick doing the damage.

Nick Allen and Matthew Stretch added to the scoreline in the second spell, with former Wolves player Shane Evans pulling one back for Masters.

In Mayfield Motorworld division two, Picton and Call Care Spartans drew 2-2 at Endeavour Park, Rangers Clubs of Marlborough hammered Rangers Masters 8-0, Alex Kennedy notching a brace, and Redwood edged past Central Privateers 2-1. This match was level 1-1 at halftime before Daniel Sorrell scored a superb long-range goal to wrap it up early in the second spell.